Tuesday 4 February 2014

Show us yer knits...

When my daughter was given a, ‘my first knitting’ set for Christmas 2012, my long-forgotten love of pins and yarn was rekindled.  I helped her with her ‘shawl’ (at least, I think that’s what it was…), and went straight to the wool shop.  I was hooked!

However, I soon realised why I gave up knitting.  I got bored...

I wanted to do something different, so I did some research and found a way to knit beautiful scarves without the needles. 

Without needles, I hear you cry? 

Indeed.  Without needles.  In fact, all I use are my arms…

 


My husband calls me a witch (amongst other things…) as he watches me wind up to three balls of wool around my arms and magically produce a scarf; he can’t understand what the hell I’m up to.  But for me the finished product is much funkier than any of my shop-bought scarves.  The only down side is that you can’t stop half way to go and make a cup of tea.  Once that bad boy’s on your arm, you have to finish it; no putting the scarf down to go to the toilet…

So I started ‘arm knitting’, and actually really enjoyed it.  It was very therapeutic, and I actually liked what I had at the end (unlike my attempt at the good old ‘decorate a mug with Sharpies’ trick…).

This was my first attempt…
 
 
 
A year later, and I’ve started my own wee business, Arm in Arm Knitwear and Accessories.
 
I do scarves...
 
 
...bags, brooches and corsages...
 





...and they all come in a hand-made, re-cycled newspaper bag. 

What more could you want?!



So if you want arm knitted scarves, up-cycled bags, corsages and accessories, you know where to go. 

It’s not going to make me a millionaire, but at least I'll have a warm neck…; )

Speak soon

x


 

No comments:

Post a Comment